Being specialist fabricators, we use a variety of materials to fabricate lake liners to bespoke plans and sizes. Dependant on the size of your budget, project and required life expectancy, our materials include Firestone and SealEco, two of the market leaders for lining materials.
With a lifetime of circa 40 years, using a high-quality liner when constructing a lake can help ensure that the perfect finish is achieved. Furthermore, the use of a high-quality liner supplied by Stephens Industries, ensures that your lake is kept watertight, while being able to be constructed to any size and shape!
The choice of the liner material to be used is often based on its application, required life of the liner, site conditions, and budget. More information on the types of liners available from Stephens Industries can be found below. In addition to supplying simple flat sheets of material, Stephens Industries are also able to supply prefabricated sheets for areas of particular complexity such as streams, waterfalls, and feature areas.
In addition to supplying simple flat sheets of material, Stephens Industries are also able to supply prefabricated sheets for areas of particular complexity such as streams, waterfalls, and feature areas. For more information please contact us.
Lake liner materials available from Stephens Industries
Stephens Industries fabricates lake liners from a variety of materials. The choice of material used is often based on its application, required size and shape, required life, and project budget. Use the information in this section to help guide you to the right material selection, for any more advice or information please contact us.
Firestone 1.14mm Geogard Liner
Firestone 1.14mm Geomembrane has all the features and benefits of 1.02mm Firestone EPDM Liner; with the increased benefit of even greater strength due to its extra thickness.
This increased strength makes Firestone 1.14mm Geomembrane the recommended material for applications where the liner will be used in particularly arduous conditions, such as where the ground is very rough, or where the water may contain damaging substances.
- Firestone 1.14mm Geomembrane material is suitable for lakes & lagoons to be used for agricultural and industrial applications.
- We can supply Firestone 1.14mm Geomembrane as cut sheets, in widths 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50ft up to 100ft long
- Firestone 1.14mm Geomembrane liners of up to 1100 m² (e.g. 120ft x 100ft; 36.5m x 30.5m) can be joined in our factory and supplied as a single sheet, or installed by us for even larger applications
Please note, it is recommended that aquaSHIELD protective matting is used with all liner materials to ensure maximum life expectancy is achievable
Firestone 1.02mm EPDM Liner
Since 1900 Firestone has been a leading developer of high-quality rubber, with a heritage in technology and innovation. This quality and heritage can be seen today in Firestone’s high performing, and durable liner.
The combination of the below properties makes Firestone rubber liners the material of choice for hobbyists and landscaping professionals alike.
- Firestone EPDM Liner is environmentally friendly: Due to the liner’s properties, it has a very low environmental impact – making it perfect for designing and building lakes and ponds. With Firestone EPDM also being produced in a factory which is accredited with ISO 14001 certification for its Environmental Management System, this also plays a role.
- Human, Fish and Plant Friendly: Firestone EPDM is specially formulated to ensure that it is safe for use by fish and plant life. It is certified non-toxic by the Water Research Centre, making it safe for both aquatic and human life.
- Highly Flexible and Durable: With this liner being able to remain flexible at -45°C it is able to be installed all year round. With its outstanding resistance to harmful UV radiation, it also shows great durability and can play a part in the liner lifetime – which is circa 40 years. Furthermore, its flexibility means it can be used to line even the most intricate shapes.
- Firestone 1.02mm Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) material is suitable for lakes, lagoons and swimming ponds of all sizes and shapes.
- We can supply Firestone 1.02mm EPDM as cut sheets, in widths 8 – 50 ft (in 2ft increments) up to 100ft long
- Firestone 1mm EPDM lake liners up to 1100 m² (e.g. 120ft x 100ft; 36.5m x 30.5m) can be joined in our factory and supplied as a single sheet or installed by us for even larger applications.
Please note, it is recommended that aquaSHIELD protective matting is used with all liner materials to ensure maximum life expectancy is achievable.
Stephens Industries protective matting is a superior quality, non-woven polypropylene Geotextile protective matting used to prevent your liner being damaged whilst being installed and during its use.
Holding many years’ experience, we have witnessed many projects of where lake liners have been installed with aquaSHIELD – which we highly recommend. Many liners become perished and subsequently unusable by being damaged by stones, roots, and other sharp objects in installation.
Our protective matting is compatible with all lake liner materials. Protective matting is completely rot, UV and weather resistant, making it extremely safe for all lake and marine life. This material is available in either 200gsm or 300gsm weights, with the thicker material offering a slightly more durable solution than the 200gsm.
Measuring the Lake
In order to know how much liner and protective matting you will need to line your lake it is essential to measure your lake accurately. For all lakes we suggest that we carry out a site survey to accurately measure the size of the lake, and therefore ensure that the right amount of liner is supplied, reducing the risk of material wastage.
A detailed site survey can be carried out once the lake has been excavated. It should be measured accurately by following the contour of the lake across the greatest width and greatest lengths and allowing additional material for fixing the liner into the trench.
The below formula and calculator can be used to determine an estimated amount of liner required; However, this will not be as accurate as a liner size calculation obtained from detailed drawings or a site visit.
How to obtain an estimated liner size
Measure the greatest width, greatest length and maximum depth. To calculate the size of liner you need:
- Liner width: max width + twice maximum depth
- Liner length: max length + twice maximum depth.
Design & Construction Guides
- Lake Liner Protection
- Securing the Lake Liner
- Joining the Lake Liner
- Pipe Details
- Waterfalls & Streams
- Lake Liner Drainage